Emergency Repair Program (ERP) 2023 / 2024
Due to budgetary limits the program has reached maxed capacity. If funding should become available the application will reopen.
The MNO Emergency Repair Program (ERP) aims to provide low-to-moderate income Metis Citizen home owners with a one-time5 forgivable loan7 to complete necessary emergency repairs that would compromise the homes integrity and/or improve accessibility for persons with disabilities up to maximum of $15,000.00 in the form of a forgivable loan. To earn forgiveness, applicants must maintain ownership as their permanent fulltime and sole residence over a 5 year term.
Eligible household must meet the following criteria:
- Registered and confirmed Métis Citizen of Ontario with a complete file2
- 18 years+ of age or older
- Must own and occupy your home as your full-time permanent and sole residence
- Have Property Insurance
- Property taxes are up-to-date
- Must have eligible emergency repairs
- Total household income must be below the Income Threshold3 Click HERE
- Household value must below the market value threshold by region (Verified by your recent tax bill)
- Must reside in Ontario and off reserve
- Must have ability to provide repair pictures and submit supporting documents to the program
- Must not own secondary properties, cabins, vacation properties or land assets etc.
- All Title Owners must sign, agree, and adhere to the program's term and conditions (legal documents require signatures)
- Must sign a consent form to access registry checks, consent form to release information for a desktop inspection, and sign the program declaration
- Must NOT have been previously approved for the MNO Home Improvement Program and the MNO Emergency Repair Program
Annual Gross Income is calculated based on the 2022 Notice of Assessment for ALL members 18+ years
Please contact the coordinator to see if your household income would qualify or has changed since 2022 (certain restrictions apply and exemptions may be considered).
Eligible repairs are those that compromise the integrity of the home, threaten the health and safety of the occupancy and/ or accessibility modifications. All repairs are subject to MNO Inspectors recommendation. These may include but are not limited to:
- Roofs that show signs of leaking
- Heating Systems
- Well and safe water supply
- Septic systems
- Electrical systems
- Accessibility modifications
- Mold remediation
- Other repairs maybe considered by the housing programs coordinator upon review of supporting documentation and MNO inspectors recommendation
Eligible Dwelling Types:
- Single detached homes
- Semi-detached homes
- Townhouses/row houses
- Condo (permission from condo board may be required)
- Mobile Homes (for those on leased land, permission required from the landowner is required and land lease must extend beyond the forgiveness period)
✔ Document Checklist:
Documents and pictures are mandatory at the end of the application for program evaluation. These documents include:
- Income Documents: Each household member 18yrs+ is required to all sources of income including 2022 Notice of assessment or current income documents, rental income, child support payments etc.
- Copy of Citizenship Card: Citizen checks are completed with MNO Registry to confirm completed files as per MNO Policy #2021-001: Eligibility for Direct Benefit Programs and Services. If you are unsure about your status, please contact MNO Registry to verify
- Copy of Drivers License: Each household member PLUS all title owners will be required to include their photo I.D showing address
- Current MPAC Assessment: Most recent MPAC Statement including all pages (https://www.mpac.ca/en/MakingChangesUpdates/RequestingCopyYourNotice)
- Current Tax Bill: Most recent Tax Bill. Tax Bill must not be arrears
- Current Property Insurance: Current property insurance policy confirming property is insured.
- Pictures of each repair: Pictures for each repair item including multiple photo's (Windows), front and back of house etc. All pictures must be clear and show signs of damage or need of assistance.
- Doctors Note or OT Report: For accessibility or certain health and safety repairs, a doctors note is mandatory to support the repair request. Any cost associated to obtaining the doctors note or OT report will be at the applicants expense. The program does not reimburse any costs associated in completing this application.
- Repairs or upgrades for aesthetic purposes only will not be eligible under the program including but not limited to garages, driveways, fences, landscape, paint, cleaning services, AC units (unless medical professional has recommended as necessary due to medical condition -doctors’ assessment or OT report is required) and any repairs not determined eligible by the program administrators.
- Due to funding limitations, applying to the program does not guarantee funding. Application may close prior to deadline and without prior notice.
- If the cost to complete the repair is over $15,000 that applicant will be required to pay the difference from their own resources and prior to the MNO releasing any funds.
- After the home inspection; Homeowners are require to source their own contractors and provide 2 estimates for each work item as per the Work Description provided.
- Payments are made directly to the contractor's through Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT). No payment of funds are made to the applicant/ client at any time.
- Applicants must have the ability to submit yearly home insurance during the 5 year earning term as per the programs legal documents.
To access the application, you must first REGISTER with Survey Monkey, using your email address and the applicant's first and last name. Please write down your login information as you will continue to use Survey Monkey throughout the program stages.
Do NOT use any other persons login information as this determines your application ID.
Helpful TIPS to become a success applicant Click HERE
What you need to know when working with contractors Click HERE
FAQ's Click HERE
Housing Programs Contact Information
705-722-5022 x 302
Office Hours Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, lunch break - 12 pm to 1 pm
Please check your junk folder for any e-mail correspondence. We attempt to respond to all inquiries within 2 business days.
Applying to the program does NOT guarantee of funding approval. As funds are limited, only applicants who have received written approval will be guaranteed of assistance. Any false or misleading information will immediately disqualify your application and you will be unable to re-apply to the program. Any work started prior to receiving written approval will not be eligible and your application will be closed. Please do not submit receipts as this is not a reimbursement program. Use Survey Monkey throughout the course of ALL stages of the ERP application process. You may log into your account at anytime to view the status of your application.
A title search of the property and owner is completed by program staff to confirm if the applicants own additional properties or land assets. If the applicant owns additional properties, the application will be declined.
Please ensure you qualify prior to completing this application
1When your application has reached the stage of a desktop inspection, the submitted estimates determine funding amounts. There are no guarantees that each applicant will receive the maximum amount of funding
2At least one (1) title holder/ homeowner must be a registered confirmed Metis Citizen with a valid Citizenship Card and reside in the property you are applying for as your fulltime permanent and sole residence. Citizenship status is confirmed by a signed consent form submitted to MNO Registry. Please visit the MNO Website for complete Policy: https://www.metisnation.org/news/mno-announces-policy-updates/
3Household members who reside in the home and are 18 years of age or older must submit their income documents and include in total household gross income calculation . Certain exemptions may be considered, please contact the coordinator for support.
4MNO Housing Inspection will be scheduled on your own behalf. This is a desktop inspection completed by Infinity Property Services (IPS). Only repair items identified by the Inspector will be eligible for assistance.
5Applicants who have applied and received previous funding through the MNO Home Improvement Program will not be eligible
6Based on current MPAC Assessment. Full MPAC Statement will need to be included at the end of the application
7Approved applicants must maintain ownership and residency for the 5 year earning forgiveness term.